Adages, the oral transfer of knowledge between generations
An adage is a short saying that transmits wisdom. Before people knew how to read and write, they passed knowledge by word of mouth. The word adage comes from Latin adagium (saying), formed by the prefix ad- (to, toward, about) and agium (from the verb agio, I say). Here is a list of adages people use everyday to improve their lives.
- Rolling stone gathers no moss. (Stay moving and stay active.)
- Root hog, or die. (Thank you: Nellie B)
- Scarce as a Model T fuel pump. (Thank you: G.E. Castillo)
- Settle for crumbs and you'll always will be hungry. (Don't settle for less then you deserve. - Thank you: Walt )
- She is the cat's meow. (She's hot. - Thank you: Joan)
- Sheep flock together, eagles fly alone. (Thank you: lmohatt)
- Shooting fish in a barrel. (Really easy)
- Show your oak day. (Thank you: Shirley Whittington)
- Silence is golden. (Thank you: Nellie B)
- Sin has many tools, but lie is the handle which fits them all. (Thank you: Sneha)
- Since Adam was a pup. (Thank you: Staralfur)
- Six of one, half dozen of the other. (Doesn't matter which alternative we choose, the result will be the same. - Thank you: Troy)
- So thirsty I could spit cotton. (Extremely thirsty. - Thank you: Lorraine)
- Some stones skip further than others and all stones take dives. (Some people are better in life than others, but we all end up in the same place. - Thank you: Jordan L)
- Some times the right path is not always the easiest one. (Thank you: P Lakshmi Chowdaiah)
- Someone we know in the daytime, we don't switch on the light to see him in the night. (Thank you: Adebowale Agunbiade, Akeem poet)
- Sometimes you have to pick your poison. (Thank you: Steve)
- Sometimes you've just got to take the good with the bad. (Thank you: Jerry)
- Son of a gun. (Thank you: Martyn)
- Spare the rod, spoil the child. (Thank you: Staralfur)
- Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes.
- Squeaking wheels get the first grease! (The loudest complainer is usually taken care of first - Thank you: Gary D.)
- Stick to your knitting. (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- Stick your hand into a bucket of water up to your wrist; Pull it out and the size of the hole that remains is a measure of how much you will be missed. (Thank you: budzo)
- Still waters run deep.
- Strike when the iron is hot. (Do it now, before it is too late. Thank you: Alisa Lin)
- Stupid is as stupid does.
- Sweet in the mouth but sour in the ass. (Thank you: Chrissy)
- Take cover or die. (Don't rush into things - Thank you: Penguinstein)
- Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. (Thank you: Tammy Holowicki)
- Take no prisoners.
- Take the time to smell the flowers. (Slow down and enjoy life. - Thank you: Pauline)
- Talk is cheap. (Thank you: Bryon)
- Tell the truth, shame the devil.
- That's water over the dam. (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- The best way to get to a mans heart is through his stomach. (Thank you: Dove)
- The bigger they are, the harder they fall. (Thank you: Nellie B)
- The black sheep of the family (Thank you: Eric Sim)
- The blind man is the one who sees the most. (Thank you: Melvin Corners, Jr.)
- The cream always rises to the top. (You can always tell who the best people are. - Thank you: Edmond)
- The creators gifts are not for sale (How many have sold their soul. Everything by mankind's evil now has a price. - Thank you: Brian)
- The cure is worse than the disease. (Thank you: Bryon)
- The day eventually comes for childish things to be put away.
- The devilís in the details. (So is God, they say)
- The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese. (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. (Thank you: Alex R.)
- The end dosn't always justify the means. (Thank you: Jerry)
- The enemy of my enemy is my friend. (Thank you: Clyde at Clifton Park)
- The family that prays together stays together. (Thank you: Carolyn)
- The female of the species is more deadly than the male. (Thank you: James 1941)
- The first cut is the deepest.
- The first thing in a suit case is the last thing out. (Thank you: Barbara B)
- The forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest. (Thank you: Nikki K)
- The fruit (apple) doesn't fall far from the tree. (The son is very similar to his father.)
- The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. (The things of others are more pleasant for us, and ours more pleasant to them.)
- The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
- The healing hand of man reflects the healing hand of God.
- The higher they climb, the harder they fall (Thank you: Staralfur)
- The hurrieder you get, the behinder you become. (Thank you: DLB)
- The little thieves get hung and the big thieves get richer and richer.
- The more things change, the more they stay the same.
- The more you know, the less you know.
- The more you stir the pot, the more it stinks. (Leave situations alone. The more you try to make things work your way the more it doesn't. (Thank you: Beth's Mom)
- The one who bleeds is not the one who suffers. (Thank you: Carrol Hughes)
- The one who made the rhyme (or squabbles, tattles) is guilty of the crime. (Whoever smelt it dealt it. - Thank you: Corina Ballagas)
- The ones that love us Never really leave us, you can always find them. (Thank you: P Lakshmi Chowdaiah)
- The only thing that remains the same is change itself. (Thank you: Sheri)
- The pen is mightier than the sword. (Thank you: Nellie B)
- The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts the sails.
- The pioneers always take the arrows. (Thank you: Harold)
- The potatoes are manipulating us!
- The Road to hell is paved with good intentions. (Thank you: Chad)
- The rooster rules the roost, but the hen rules the rooster. (Thank you: Carolyn)
- The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. (Thank you: Dr. Bob)
- The shortest distance to ask for help, is the distance between your knees and the floor. (If you need help, just pray to God - Thank you: Ryan Arioja)
-- o --
Click here to add an old adage